So I decided I should share a little story with you that might give you a good laugh.
**Flashback 9 years ago**
My mom and I were shoe shopping at Parks Sportsman (the best store ever) for new basketballs shoes for me. The man measuring my feet said, "hey, your feet are a half a size different." Which I learned is incredibly common. Now, imagine being 11 years old and finding out your feet are uneven. I suddenly became very self-conscious of my feet. Especially when the left one continued to grow and the right one seemed to slow down.
**Back to Today**
Well over the years, this unevenness-as I like to call it- has continued to progress. My left foot is over a size and a half bigger than my right. My left leg is a few inches longer than my right (same with my arms). My left eye is far sighted, my right eye is near sided. The left side of my hair is much thicker than the right. My jaw on the left side has 40% bone loss, the right only has 25%. Literally- my entire body is uneven. Well, I recently took a trip into my family doctor. He is a very good friend and has known that I am "uneven" but we have never thought much of it. I was in seeing him about my migraines and not sleeping. I once again mentioned about my body being uneven and how my migraines are on the left. Well that worried him, he thought maybe there was something blocking my brain stem because my entire body is completely different, divided right down the middle. As he was measuring to see how uneven I was he was shocked to discover that even my muscles are different on one side- the left side is just more dense. Literally- everything is uneven.
Well I had an MRI- I was in the stupid tube for nearly 3 hours (they said it would be an hour max) and I was poked and prodded multiple times while I was in there. I couldn't figure out how it could possibly have taken that long. Well, a few days later when we got the results it all made sense. My doctor calls and says, "Well Bec I hope you are sitting down. The good news is, nothing is blocking your brainstem, you dont have any tumors or anything. BUT.... the left side of your brain is drastically smaller than the Right side of your brain, hence why your body is uneven. We (meaning the neuro surgeon and my doctor) both agree that this is what must be causing your migraines and sleep disorder." So there ya go! I have been diagnosed with a Unilateral Growth Deficiency (it is a new term- they made it up for me.... literally.) And like my sister said, "Boo- they should study you!!!"
I dunno- I thought that is a pretty cool story to tell! And hey, I have the ultimate "tell us something interesting about you" moment. I think my brain being uneven will top any other stories- bizarre.
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is hilarious!!!! I just love to hear the way that you describe things. You are the best.... love ya
I just saw that you started to post again, and I have to say this is crazy!!!! I never knew that could happen. You sound like you are handling it really well.
By the way, how do you buy shoes?
Post a Comment