
Nastia Liukin, Alisha Saramone, and Shawn Johnson
For those of you who don't know- I am a little obsessed with the olympics! Ok, a LOT obsessed. I am mainly obsessed with women's gymnastics. I did gymnastics growing up and have always been fascinated by the sport. Well, tonight the US women competed for Gold in the Beijing Olympics. We came up short after a shotty, at best, performance. We (meaning Team USA) rocked the vault- Sloan coming up HUGE on her first really major international competition. We did incredibly well on the Uneven Bars- led by the incredible Nastia Liuken. It all went down hill from there, however.
I thought we had a shot on beam after Team China struggled greatly. That thought was crushed immediately when team captain, Alecia Sacramone fell on her mount onto the beam. She also fell on the floor. Nastia Liuken and Shawn Johnson both, uncharitaristically stepped out of bounds on floor. Both of them nailed their beam routines though. Nearly everybody in America is currently in shock over the results and is mostly likely now having a bad night. I, however, have found myself incredibly torn.
As I am sure most of you are aware, I have been very fortunate to travel extensively to Asia. I have been to China multiple times, including a visit to Beijing. I have seen how incredibly oppressed the people are, and this is after such an immense reform by the government. I have seen the children begging in the streets. The "homes" which are shared by many families and are about the size of my bedroom. I cannot describe to you the scenes I have seen in my travels. This is why I am torn.
I am torn because tonight I saw Team China being cheered on with so much energy by their countrymen. These men, women, and children who were in the crowd could probably not believe they were there, watching an incredible international competition, with their country on top. These girls, most of whom were taken from their homes at 3 years old and entered into the "machine" that is Chinese Gymnastics.
I was in awe as I watched them perform their little hearts out (some debatably smaller and YOUNGER than others but that's a whole different topic). I was insanely touched. Yes, I was so sad that Team USA did not win, but watching these young (once again highly debatable) girls compete gave me chills. Seeing their smiles as they performed on the floor, knowing all they had to do was make it through and they would win gold, was priceless.
I hope, more than anything, that having China win the olympic Gold will help the country in a few ways: #1: I hope it helps them develop more pride in their country. #2- I hope that it breaks the "Machine" #3- I hope Chinese Gymnastics finds themselves in more of the limelight, therefore requiring them to stick to all IOC and FIG (International Gymnastics Federation) guidelines that they are currently able to get away with (no help to the still semi-corrupt government). I truly hope and pray that the children in China look up to these girls, as I did to Shannon Miller, Dominique Moceanu, and the rest of the Mag 7 of the 1996 games. I hope they realize that they can achieve their goals if they work hard enough. And I truly hope and pray that they realize they do not need to become part of the "machine" in order to achieve these goals.
Here are a few pictures of us in Beijing a few years ago. it truly is an incredible (albeit very dirty city). It has been so much fun for me to watch the olympics and see places that I have been and how they have received a huge "face lift."

At the Forbidden City in Beijing, right across the street from Tiananmen Square.

At Tiananmen Square in Beijing- just a side note- check out the "smog." It really was horrible. When we flew out of Beijing and we got above the smog we were all like "Oh wow! There's the sun!"

Mom and I at the Great Wall in front of the Olympic Theme in Badaling, China (just outside of Beijing). I apologize for my gross appearance but that's what I look like after 2 weeks in China with no flat iron or blow dryer (I blew both of them out... my bad)

This man has created one memory I will never forget. As you can see he is chipping away at the marble, creating a beautiful picture. As we walked up we were looking at what he had created. All but one were of the Great Wall. The other was of the Savior... IN BEIJING CHINA!!! We were SHOCKED! Mom got teary eyed and said, "oh look it's the Savior!" and he looked at mom and said "Jesus.. Jesus" and touched his heart. Needless to say, we bought it immediately and it sits in with our most prized possessions (mainly family heirlooms) in our Curio Cabinet in our home.
No comments:
Post a Comment